This year, the ACF Central Florida Chapter continued its active commitment to the American Culinary Federation, to the local community, and most importantly to our chapter members. Here are the highlights to our involvement and accomplishments as a chapter for the past year:
Notable Goodwill, Donations & Scholarships
- $1,000 donation to the Edwin Brown Memorial
- $1,000 donation to Teen Moms Choose Life to fill their pantry for teen moms in need
- $500 donation to Dr. Phillips YMCA’s Healthy Kids Program
- $350 Donation from Meeting Event Raffle to the Downtown Mission
- Our chapter sponsored 5 new Student Memberships with meeting raffles
- Hospice donation “In Memoriam” for Chef Chris Neary
- Donation and GoFundme Campaign for Chef Alan Gazzaway’s daughter
- Food and funds were donated to the Women’s Shelter
- Our annual Christmas party was held at Give Kids The World Resort and we gathered almost 100 new, unwrapped toys at the door which were donated to the Toys For Tots Holiday Drive.
Our Culinary Competitions
- Our chapter hosted the ACF Culinary Arts Competition during the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Show at the Orange County Convention Center with dozens of chefs and students competing in 4 categories and over $20,000 in prize money.
- We hosted a very successful Florida ProStart Grilled Cheese Competition for two dozen state high schools in the Tasting Arena with our Culinary Arts Competition.
- We also hosted Scott Joseph’s Sous Chef’s “Next Big Thing” Competition and the O-Town MacDown in the Tasting Arena of our Culinary Arts Competition.
Notable Special Events
- Our chapter hosted a Christmas dinner at Give Kids The World Village and fed over 1000 guests that included terminally ill children and their families.
- Our chapter supported cancer research with a table at the 2018 Cattle Baron’s Ball in March.
- Our chapter supported Feed Hope Now with a table at the 2018 Taste! Central Florida fundraising tasting event in September.
- Our chapter participated in a dinner in Tampa to raise funds to support Team USA
- Our chapter and its members received over a dozen mentions in the National Culinary Review from October 2017 thru September 2018.
- Our chapter’s involvement in community events appeared in several issues of the National Culinary Review as well as local blogger and media sites.
- Our chapter administered a Certification Practical Exams hosted at The Art Institute of Tampa on Sunday July 8, 2018.
- Chef Bryan Frick, CEC, AAC was awarded the 2018 National Accounts Chef of the Year for Nestle Corporation
- Reimund Pitz, CEC, CCE, AAC was awarded a Medal from the French Government in September 2018 for his contribution to the Culinary World
National Committee Involvement
- Chef Nora Galdiano, CEC, AAC was on the ACF Diversity & Inclusion Task Force
- Chef Bryan Frick, CEC, AAC was the Current Past Chairman of the Accreditation Commission
- Chef Bryan Frick, CEC, AAC was the Nestle corporate chef representative for the United States for International Kids Day with WACS and the ACF
- Chef Reimund Pitz, CEC, CCE, AAC was chosen as the Team Manager for the ACF Culinary Team USA
ACF Regional & National Awards
- Chef Bernd Mueller, CEC, AAC represented our chapter at the national convention as the 2018 Southeast Region Hermann G. Rusch Award recipient
- Chef Joe Alfano, CEC, AAC represented our chapter at the national convention as the 2018 Southeast Region Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award recipient
- The ACF Central Florida Chapter was honored with one of the 2018 Southeast Region Chapter Achievement Awards
Happy New Year!
Here’s to another great year for our chapter.