As your new chapter president, I’d like to share some of the message I shared at the June Social last week.
First, please help me thank and welcome Chef Richard Cote, CEC for stepping in as our new Vice President. Together, we are both very honored to represent such an incredible ACF Chapter! Thanks also to Universal Orlando for supporting this chapter in so many ways – including hosting last week’s social.
Here is a quick recap on the “State of Our Chapter” – our growth, our accomplishments, our good works.
- Last week, we donated $1000 for the Friends of Sully Golf Event to help support Bill Sullivan (a long-time member of this chapter) in his time of need.
- Two weeks ago, we participated in a brand new culinary chef showcase fundraiser called “Road Food & Rioja” sponsored by Scott Joseph and held at Orlando Harley-Davidson.
- Last month at the SE Regional Conference, we received a Chapter Achievement Award – our chapter was one of only 3 in the southeast region to receive this award.
- In April, we supported The Taste of Compassion event with the First Presbyterian Church. This event raised over $77,000 to help aid the homeless in our community.
- Last December, we fed over 800 family members a wonderful holiday meal at Give Kids The World Village.
- Our mentorship program is helping to inspire chefs.
- We award one free Junior Membership to a lucky young culinarian at each general meeting. A New Member Welcome program that we launched last year includes a free chef jacket and a framed Culinarian’s Code. Our chapter is now one of the largest with over 250 members strong.
- We are averaging one new or renewing website sponsor each month. Our industry partners see the value of the ACF Central Florida Chapter!
- With the support of the Board of Directors and with careful money management, we have been able to increase our investment account substantially to protect our chapter’s future.
And here’s what YOU can expect in this chapter’s future…
- We have scholarship money available and we’ve made it simpler then ever to apply with an easy download form on our chapter website.
- We are planning upcoming meetings that will include field trips, social events and cooking demonstrations by chef instructors from Le Cordon Bleu. In fact, we have recently partnered with Le Cordon Bleu to host every other monthly meeting.
- In September, we host the annual Culinary Arts Competition at the FRLA Show – this is one of the largest culinary competitions in the country with over $50,000 in prize money. This is a huge event for our chapter. Get involved by attending, volunteering or competing.
- Next year, the 2015 ACF National Convention will be hosted right here in Orlando – by your chapter. Again, this is an opportunity to get involved and in return you’ll meet chefs from all over the country. We will need your help to make that convention a success.
These are just a few of the great things we do! Why wouldn’t you be a member? We have so much to offer! If everyone does a little, we will move mountains!
As a reminder, there are no general meetings during the summer months, so please stay connected with the chapter website and Facebook page for announcements about the next general meeting in October. We have BIG plans!
Have a great summer and see you at the FRLA Show in September!
Joe Alfano, CEC
ACF Central Florida Chapter